Children of all ages are rapidly becoming overweight.
Sugar has been linked to obesity in numerous studies. This evidence appears to be getting stronger.
Children aged 1 -3 are averaging 12 teaspoons of sugar per day, aged 4 -8 are having 21 teaspoons per day. And older children up to 34 teaspoons. (NHANES US data 2004) Link
Suggestion: drastically reduce your child's sugar intake or risk:
overweight, obesity, fatty liver disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension
(Yes, younger and younger children are developing all of these)
- learn all you can about sugar on this website and from other sources
- stop fruit juice and soft drink at home
- carefully select breakfast cereals e.g. oats, weat bix, vitabrits
- party foods are only for parties
- learn to cook and bake with non fructose sweeteners and glucose powder
- limit sweets, cakes, biscuits, desserts, icecream. Or probably much better to not have them in the house at all
Or, they will be overweight or worse.